Definition of white heat in English:
1The temperature or state of something that is so hot that it emits white light.
- Sometimes he would see the Bunsen burners on, the shooting blue flame and jet white heat.
- At high temperatures, objects radiate intense light across the visible spectrum - that's white heat.
- A gout of white heat erupted from the star in the centre of the reactor, fusing metal and spewing out into space.
1.1 [in singular] A state of intense passion or activity.
- There would be a white heat of new ideas, invention, fortunes being made and fortunes being lost.
- Love affairs, forged in the white heat of lust, are extinguished just as quickly by a fleeting glance from a beautiful stranger.
- His belief in his polemical fable, Keneally tells me from his home in Sydney, stems from the fact it was urgently written - ‘in the white heat of anger’ - from the heart.
Definition of white heat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan