Definition of white hope in English:
1A person expected to bring much success to a group or organization: he was the great white hope for many kids trapped in bad lives
More example sentences
- Suede were the great white hope of indie rock for a while; everyone was expecting them to fill in the gap left by the Smiths.
- Maybe some of our stars aren't running so well at the moment so he is now the great white hope!
- Having been rejected by the Tories, the man formerly regarded as the great white hope of the British right has refused all interviews and even turned down a request from the student newspaper.
1.1Formerly, a white boxer believed by fans to be able to beat a black champion.
- When Johnson beat white hope Jim Jefferies that there were 14 lynchings.
- In 1995, Peter McNeeley, another manufactured white hope, was demolished in ninety seconds by Mike Tyson.
- Since Johnson had beaten every credible white contender, there was little discussion of another white hope in the newspapers following the fight.
Definition of white hope in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan