Definition of white hope in English:
1A person expected to bring much success to a group or organization: he was the great white hope for many kids trapped in bad lives
More example sentences
- Suede were the great white hope of indie rock for a while; everyone was expecting them to fill in the gap left by the Smiths.
- Maybe some of our stars aren't running so well at the moment so he is now the great white hope!
- Having been rejected by the Tories, the man formerly regarded as the great white hope of the British right has refused all interviews and even turned down a request from the student newspaper.
1.1Formerly, a white boxer believed by fans to be able to beat a black champion.
- When Johnson beat white hope Jim Jefferies that there were 14 lynchings.
- In 1995, Peter McNeeley, another manufactured white hope, was demolished in ninety seconds by Mike Tyson.
- Since Johnson had beaten every credible white contender, there was little discussion of another white hope in the newspapers following the fight.
Definition of white hope in:
- British & World English dictionary