noun(also whooper swan)
1A large migratory swan with a black and yellow bill and a loud trumpeting call, breeding in northern Eurasia and Greenland.
- Cygnus cygnus, family Anatidae
More example sentences
- Today, fewer than 200 whoopers survive in the wild, most migrating with sandhill cranes between Canada and Texas.
- Fewer than a dozen of those whoopers continue to migrate with their adoptive parents, but none of them has yet produced offspring.
- One whooper and five Bewick's swans have been fitted with transmitters which will enable them to be visibly tracked by satellite and followed online.
Definition of whooper in:
- The British & World English dictionary