Definition of whooper in English:
noun(also whooper swan)
1A large migratory swan with a black and yellow bill and a loud trumpeting call, breeding in northern Eurasia and Greenland.
- Cygnus cygnus, family Anatidae
- Today, fewer than 200 whoopers survive in the wild, most migrating with sandhill cranes between Canada and Texas.
- Fewer than a dozen of those whoopers continue to migrate with their adoptive parents, but none of them has yet produced offspring.
- One whooper and five Bewick's swans have been fitted with transmitters which will enable them to be visibly tracked by satellite and followed online.
Definition of whooper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan