Definition of whopper in English:
1A thing that is extremely or unusually large: the novel is a 1,079 page whopper
More example sentences
- Mr. Greenspan's whopper must be followed by a whopper of a slump.
- The biggest pike caught during the winter leagues was a whopper of twenty-five pounds, caught on a deadbait on March 2.
- It was too easy, even for Julia who, fearing she wouldn't get a bite, found herself ankle-deep in whoppers.
1.1A gross or blatant lie.
- Research revealed that untruths range from little white lies to huge whoppers aimed purely at personal gain.
- As both posts and the ‘mainstream media’ story are full of whoppers (and I don't mean they went to Burger King…) I just had to toss in my two cents.
- Four years ago, I started the Lie Emporium, a website dedicated to lies, whoppers, porkies, politicians and just plain old cheap gags.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan