Definition of whydah in English:
An African weaverbird, the male of which has a black back and a very long black tail used in display flight.
- Genus Vidua, family Ploceidae: several species
- In particular, female indigobirds might prefer males with long tails like those of male paradise whydahs, perhaps because they retain an ancestral sensory bias.
- Her daughter, genetically an indigobird, imprinted on her Melba Finch foster parents and then mated with a male paradise whydah mimicking Melba Finch song.
- In the first, a female paradise whydah mates with a male indigobird (whether by choice or coercion), then lays an egg in a nest of her usual host, Melba Finch.
late 18th century (originally widow-bird): alteration by association with Whidah (now Ouidah), a town in Benin.
Definition of whydah in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan