Definition of widen in English:
Make or become wider: [with object]: the incentive to dredge and widen the river [no object]: his grin widened the lane widened out into a small clearing
More example sentences
- Asked about the move, his slow smile widens into a broad grin that crinkles the sun-wizened features of his face.
- Further south, and the Shannon takes on a different character as the river widens, and it flows through Lough Derg, its largest lake.
- There is barely room for two vehicles to pass at the moment and there is little scope for widening the pavement at that point.
- Example sentences
- London proceeded to lead the wideners to ultimate victory over the deepeners.
- The British were always wideners, viscerally opposed to all moves toward political union.
- The line of wideners cover a wide range of applications from lane construction to shoulder maintenance and back fill.