An Old World grass that is related to the cultivated oat and is commonly found as a weed of other cereal plants.
- Avena fatua, family Gramineae
More example sentences
- Replicated across a range of WA soil types, the study examined annual ryegrass, wild radish, wild oats, wall fumitory, brome grass and barley grass persistence, in plots isolated to guard against the arrival of new seed.
- As agriculture expanded onto the prairies, wild oats and sow thistle, leafy spurge and Canada thistle migrated westward.
- But it's the building's exterior that gets the royal treatment, decorated each year with huge murals made with thousands of bushels of corn, as well as grain, wild oats, rye and wheat.
sow one's wild oats
- see oat.
Definition of wild oat in:
- The British & World English dictionary