Definition of wild rice in English:
1A tall aquatic North American grass related to rice, with edible grains.
- Zizania aquatica, family Gramineae
- The latter, sometimes called Manchurian wild rice or water grass, has broader leaves, which are used for wrapping dumplings.
- If your pond is at least three feet deep, you can experiment with wild rice, water lotus, and water lily.
- Gish did not identify any wild rice, maize, or cucurbit pollen.
1.1The grain of the wild rice plant used as food.
- Yet, the wild rice in this instance works quite well, adding a simple dimension of crunch to a pie that is otherwise dominated by the nutty, woody, smoky flavors of morel and bison.
- Joan's mother, who was stirring around the wild rice, shot her head up in alarm.
- Spend some energy on a side dish, such as a wonderful wild rice pilaf with dried apricots, cranberries, and pistachios.
Definition of wild rice in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.