1A large, destructive fire that spreads quickly over woodland or brush.
- Prolonged dry periods and seasonal high winds in spring help create ideal conditions for wildfire to spread quickly through highly-flammable moorland undergrowth.
- The wildfire quickly spreads, consuming the thick, dried-out vegetation and almost everything else in its path.
- More and more western communities surrounded by forests are responding to the threat of destructive wildfire with a wide range of economic and policy changes.
spread like wildfire
- Spread with great speed: the news had spread like wildfireMore example sentences
- Normally such riots on such an emotive issue would spread like wildfire across the country.
- Sometimes it's word of mouth, playground chat that spreads like wildfire.
- If they come across something good, word of mouth spreads like wildfire.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of wildfire in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.