Definition of wildfire in English:
1A large, destructive fire that spreads quickly over woodland or brush.
- Prolonged dry periods and seasonal high winds in spring help create ideal conditions for wildfire to spread quickly through highly-flammable moorland undergrowth.
- The wildfire quickly spreads, consuming the thick, dried-out vegetation and almost everything else in its path.
- More and more western communities surrounded by forests are responding to the threat of destructive wildfire with a wide range of economic and policy changes.
spread like wildfire
- Spread with great speed: the news had spread like wildfireMore example sentences
- Normally such riots on such an emotive issue would spread like wildfire across the country.
- Sometimes it's word of mouth, playground chat that spreads like wildfire.
- If they come across something good, word of mouth spreads like wildfire.
Definition of wildfire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan