- 1 (also willow tree) A tree or shrub of temperate climates that typically has narrow leaves, bears catkins, and grows near water. Its pliant branches yield osiers for basketry, and its wood has various uses.
More example sentences
- Genus Salix, family Salicaceae: many species
- In her madness, Ophelia climbs a willow tree to hang garlands from its branches.
- Some 2000 years ago the Greeks used the bark and leaves of the willow tree (which contains salicylic acid) to relieve pain and fever.
- And the tree, the sacred willow tree, the huluppu tree, is no more!
- 2A machine with revolving spikes used for cleaning cotton, wool, or other fibers.More example sentences
- The Japanese willow machine made good money for the domestic economy.
Old English welig, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch wilg.
More definitions of willowDefinition of willow in:
- The British & World English dictionary