Definition of willow in English:
1 (also willow tree) A tree or shrub of temperate climates that typically has narrow leaves, bears catkins, and grows near water. Its pliant branches yield osiers for basketry, and its wood has various uses.
- Genus Salix, family Salicaceae: many species
- In her madness, Ophelia climbs a willow tree to hang garlands from its branches.
- Some 2000 years ago the Greeks used the bark and leaves of the willow tree (which contains salicylic acid) to relieve pain and fever.
- And the tree, the sacred willow tree, the huluppu tree, is no more!
Definition of willow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan