1 (also willow tree) A tree or shrub of temperate climates that typically has narrow leaves, bears catkins, and grows near water. Its pliant branches yield osiers for basketry, and its wood has various uses.
- Genus Salix, family Salicaceae: many species
More example sentences
- In her madness, Ophelia climbs a willow tree to hang garlands from its branches.
- Some 2000 years ago the Greeks used the bark and leaves of the willow tree (which contains salicylic acid) to relieve pain and fever.
- And the tree, the sacred willow tree, the huluppu tree, is no more!
Definition of willow in:
- The British & World English dictionary