- A common flatfish of the western Atlantic, having cryptic gray-brown coloration and popular as food in winter in North America.
More example sentences
- Pseudopleuronectes americanus, family Pleuronectidae
- In a more recent data base search, we found a possible homologue of Styelins in a vertebrate-the winter flounder, Pseudopleuronectes americanus.
- Some of the fish should be firm-fleshed and gelatinous like halibut, eel, and winter flounder, and some tender and flaky like hake, baby cod, small pollock, and lemon sole.
More definitions of winter flounderDefinition of winter flounder in:
- The British & World English dictionary