(also winterberry holly)
Definition of winterberry in English:
noun (plural winterberries)
A North American holly with toothed, nonprickly leaves and berries that persist through the winter.
- Genus Ilex, family Aquifoliaceae: several species, in particular the common winterberry (I. verticillata) and the smooth winterberry (I. laevigata)
- While its needles are still alive and fresh, we decorate the tree with colorful glass globes, tinsel, red winterberries from a deciduous holly, spruce and fir cones, and cotton to simulate snow.
- Plant lower-growing, berry-laden shrubs, such as winterberry and chokeberry, as a bridge from the trees to ground covers.
- Holly, winterberry, cotoneaster and many other food-bearers yield nutritious fare that's more appealing to a wider variety of birds than commercial food.
Definition of winterberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan