Definition of wintersweet in English:
A deciduous Chinese shrub that produces heavily scented yellow flowers in winter before the leaves appear, grown in North America as an ornamental.
- Chimonanthus praecox, family Calycanthaceae
- Set as a backdrop, these colourful stems provide an excellent foil for the wintersweet.
- There were camellias flowering, witch hazel and wintersweet, and rows of paperwhites beside the driveway.
- We all say that the witch hazel is under-utilized, but the wintersweet is nowhere to be found.
Definition of wintersweet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia