Definition of wintersweet in English:
A deciduous Chinese shrub that produces heavily scented yellow flowers in winter before the leaves appear, grown in North America as an ornamental.
- Chimonanthus praecox, family Calycanthaceae
- Set as a backdrop, these colourful stems provide an excellent foil for the wintersweet.
- There were camellias flowering, witch hazel and wintersweet, and rows of paperwhites beside the driveway.
- We all say that the witch hazel is under-utilized, but the wintersweet is nowhere to be found.
Definition of wintersweet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.