Definition of wire grass in English:
nounchiefly North American & Australian
A grass with tough wiry stems.
- Genera Aristida and Poa, family Gramineae: several species, including the European P. compressa, which has become naturalized in North America
- These types grow a bit later on in spring and have a lesser tendency toward sod-formation than English ryegrass and wire grass.
- Dry prairie consists mainly of grass species, especially little bluestem, splitbeard bluestem, wire grass, bottlebrush threeawn, Indian grass, and slender beardgrass.
- A century and a half ago dry prairie, covered with wire grass, carpeted much of the land from Lake Okeechobee southward, but settlers cleared the prairie and planted crops and a variety of exotic grasses.
Definition of wire grass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.