Definition of wireless in English:
Using radio, microwaves, etc. (as opposed to wires or cables) to transmit signals: wireless broadband
More example sentences
- To fully equip every street in Britain with conventional wireless networking, would require a prodigious effort.
- Wireless networks are open and available to all who have wireless devices, whereas wired networks require a physical connection to gain access.
- The wireless solution was cheaper than wiring the entire campus, and it's so much more convenient.
nounBack to top
1Broadcasting, computer networking, or other communication using radio signals, microwaves, etc.
- The second step is to help create the right policy and regulatory environment for broadband, and satellite, and wireless.
- He said nothing new in his suggestion that broadband infrastructures - be it DSL, satellite, cable or wireless - could be run by just a handful of companies.
- Some older buildings are very difficult to pull cable through, and wireless may be able to get everyone connected.
2 (also wireless set) dated , chiefly British A radio receiving set.
- You remember that he could hardly speak when he first became king, as far as the radio was concerned, wireless as it was called in those days.
- One hundred years ago, there was no wireless, telly or cinema and the moving image was in its infancy.
- But most analysts predict that it will be at least a decade or so before the technology has advanced enough to make internet radio as cheap and painless to use as the battered old wireless.
- Example sentences
- This clever, simple-to-use and elegant system can wirelessly stream music off multiple PCs or Macs throughout the house.
- PDAs morphed from simple organizers into gizmos that could take pictures, play music and link wirelessly to the Internet.
- There's also Bluetooth technology so you can connect wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices.
Definition of wireless in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.