- 1The quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.More example sentences
- And a stoic is a person who combines the qualities of wisdom, upright dealing, and courage.
- For all her power, he felt she lacked wisdom and judgement, and it was past time she learned her place.
- The authors of these guides have years of inside knowledge, wisdom and practical experience to pass on to you.
- 1.1The soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of experience, knowledge, and good judgment: some questioned the wisdom of building the dam so close to an active volcanoMore example sentences
- If spending on this scale is sensible, its wisdom ought to be demonstrable.
- It was only months later, when her father suffered a heart attack, that she questioned the rabbis' wisdom.
- The old woman showed great wisdom in asking the question that she did.
- 1.2The body of knowledge and principles that develops within a specified society or period: the traditional farming wisdom of IndiaMore example sentences
- The second human characteristic is a widespread tendency to accept conventional wisdoms, be they religious, economic or scientific.
- Allies need to do more about training good minds who are expert on Asia and who are not afraid of challenging conventional intelligence wisdoms.
- He said the country was well placed to draw on established moral wisdoms, such as African, Hindu, Islamic, Jewish, Christian and other faiths and securalist views.
in someone's wisdom
- Used ironically to suggest that an action is not well judged: in their wisdom they decided to dispense with himMore example sentences
- Council, in their wisdom, said they needed more information, which was a little frustrating for us.
- We offered Steven a very lucrative contract but Steven and his advisers have, in their wisdom, decided against it.
- This morning upon crossing into England I discovered that someone, somewhere in local authority, in their wisdom, had decided that despite the weather forecast grit would not be spread on the roads.