(also wistaria /-ˈste(ə)r-/)
Definition of wisteria in English:
A climbing shrub of the pea family, with hanging clusters of pale bluish-lilac flowers. Native to North America and eastern Asia, ornamental varieties are widely grown on walls and pergolas.
- Genus Wisteria, family Leguminosae: several species
- The large pendulous flower clusters of the wisteria vine are quite appealing to butterflies in late spring.
- Even though Japanese principles and classic flowering trees and shrubs such as wisterias, magnolias and flowering cherries have been used, everything has been sourced locally.
- First, he planted a Japanese wisteria at the base of each pole.
modern Latin, named after Caspar Wistar (or Wister) (1761–1818), American anatomist.
Definition of wisteria in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan