- An edible fungus, black or brown in color, that grows on trees and is sold in dry wrinkled shapes somewhat resembling ears.
More example sentences
- Auricularia auricula, family Auriculariaceae
- Black beans, lily buds, leafy greens, wood ear fungus, beanthread noodles, Sichuan peppercorns the Chinese larder is there (and so are those of Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Japan and Indonesia).
- The Chinese dry many fungi, especially the wood ear.
- Thankfully, most of those late 1980's fusion abominations, like Asian pizza with wood ear mushrooms, brine shrimp and soy sauce, are mostly banished from contemporary menus.