(also woodchat shrike)
Definition of woodchat in English:
A shrike of southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East, having black and white plumage with a chestnut head.
- Lanius senator, family Laniidae
- Although the same size as a red-backed shrike, the woodchat gives an impression of being smaller and more compact.
- The songbird family of shrikes that is responsible for such carnage is well represented by the woodchat shrike, pictured here grappling with a lizard.
- However I did log a woodchat shrike, numerous barn and red-rumped swallows, a veritable swarm of common swifts, and a common buzzard.
Definition of woodchat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan