Definition of woodchuck in English:
A North American marmot with a heavy body and short legs.
- Marmota monax, family Sciuridae
- The Rodentia also includes beavers, muskrats, porcupines, woodchucks, chipmunks, squirrels, prairie dogs, marmots, chinchillas, voles, lemmings, and many others.
- Squirrels range in size from the mouse-sized African pygmy squirrel to the robust marmots and woodchucks (genus Marmota).
- Unlike other marmots, woodchucks don't live in big colonies underground.
late 17th century: alteration (by association with wood) of an American Indian name.
Definition of woodchuck in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan