Definition of woodchuck in English:
A North American marmot with a heavy body and short legs.
- Marmota monax, family Sciuridae
- The Rodentia also includes beavers, muskrats, porcupines, woodchucks, chipmunks, squirrels, prairie dogs, marmots, chinchillas, voles, lemmings, and many others.
- Squirrels range in size from the mouse-sized African pygmy squirrel to the robust marmots and woodchucks (genus Marmota).
- Unlike other marmots, woodchucks don't live in big colonies underground.
Late 17th century: alteration (by association with wood) of an American Indian name.
Definition of woodchuck in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.