Definition of woodruff in English:
A white-flowered plant of the bedstraw family with whorled leaves, smelling of new-mown hay when dried or crushed.
- Genera Galium and Asperula, family Rubiaceae: several species, especially sweet woodruff (G. odoratum)
- Actually I tucked a few bearberry plants among them as a salve to his feelings, and that spread almost as satisfyingly as the woodruff.
- Wild garlic, woodruff, ivy, wild strawberry and violets provide the splendorous colour that gives the wood one of its many appealing qualities.
- First, though, I rip out the woodruff and lay the earth bare.
Old English wudurofe, from wudu 'wood' + an element of unknown meaning.
Definition of woodruff in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan