Definition of woody in English:
adjective (woodier, woodiest)
1(Of an area of land) covered with trees: a woody dale
More example sentences
- I went to the woody area in the middle of the maze in the courtyard of our school that not many people know even exists and began to eat my lunch when I overheard Mercedes and another girl talking.
- We're in a woody area but only a walk away from the beach.
- Obviously the midge problem is worse early in the autumn and late in the spring, especially in woody areas or away from the coast where there's generally a breeze.
1.1Made of, resembling, or suggestive of wood: cut out the woody central core before boiling
More example sentences
- Quarter the parsnips lengthwise and remove the central woody core.
- It's always done well in the past - lovely flavour and not woody, however big the roots get.
- Look for small to medium-size parsnips; the larger ones can have a woody core.
1.2 Botany (Of a plant or its stem) of the nature of or consisting of wood; lignified.
- The plant has woody stems, whorls of lance-shaped leaves, and long dense spikes of tubular-shaped light blue, purple, pink, or white flowers from which bees make wonderful honey.
- Botanists have long noted the phenomenon of sap accumulation in tissue above a girdle or major wound in the woody stems of plants.
- Spring flowers give way to those gum balls, woody balls covered with curved spines and containing one or two winged seeds.
noun (plural woodies)North American vulgar slang Back to top
An erection of the penis.
- Local meteorologists are sporting woodies the size of ancient sequoias.
- Furthermore, if Boomers hold true to form, they are likely to spend the vast percentage of those assets on travel, leisure and their pursuit of an eternal woody.
- Sorry, but the smoky raspiness of her voice only gives college boys a woody for so long.
- Example sentences
- This is very nice because an acoustic snare drum and an acoustic guitar share a pretty similar sonic space, a mix of woodiness and gritty metal, midrange but with a high-end pop.
- Walker's, one of the oldest stalls in the market, had fantastic pesticide-free peaches last week, with an intoxicating scent and no woodiness at all.
- Instead the prevailing feeling is of woodiness, of being in a lofty barn or, at a stretch, a medieval great hall.
Words that rhyme with woodygoody, hoodie
Definition of woody in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.