1A painting, sculpture, poem, piece of music, or other product of the creative arts, especially one with strong imaginative or aesthetic appeal.
- Each sketch is an individual work of art and represents a historically accurate reflection of a time past.
- It's a work of art appealing directly to the wallets of those who can afford the £60,000 price tag.
- The viewer is thus able to imagine the works of art in any number of contexts and arrangements.
1.1Something that is very attractively presented or intricately detailed: even the salad was a work of art
More example sentences
- The parade is a riot of elaborate costumes and clothing with many of the get-ups real works of art.
- The Thai sushi legend has fallen in love with the art of Asian modern cuisine, making his culinary masterpieces true works of art.
- Her cakes are remarkable works of art, too bad they get eaten.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: work of art
Definition of work of art in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.