1A computer that is able to use the software of another specified machine without special modification.
- Once the BIOS was cracked, anyone could manufacture an IBM-PC workalike.
- Similarly, TeleVideo launched an IBM workalike last year but found few buyers.
1.1A piece of software identical in function to another software package.
- Windows workalikes for the Linux software I use daily, all of which came with Mandrake 8.0 in the ‘Powerpack’ box that cost $65, would run well over $1,000.
- However, there are many useful routines in the kernel that give you functionality similar to library routines, including workalikes for most of the str family of functions from the C library.
- Linux, the GPL workalike, needed equivalent extension workalikes for itself - Lesstif, for instance.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.