1.1 [with adjective or noun modifier] A person who does a specified type of work or who works in a specified way: a farm worker she’s a good worker
More example sentences
- Migrant farm workers are hired temporarily, usually for a harvest.
- The Royal Mail sacked the two postal workers on the grounds that they had taken " excessive " sick leave.
- Farmers want timely admission of an adequate number of temporary foreign farm workers.
1.2An employee, especially one who does manual or nonexecutive work.
- In 1911 over three-quarters of Britain's employed population were manual workers.
- The most admired vocations are manual workers such as cook or driver.
- That will mean a harsh deal for manual workers who can't physically work beyond 60 or 65.
1.3 (workers) Used in Marxist or leftist contexts to refer to the working class.
- He told us about its working class program, workers ' rights and the world political situation.
- In its place will come the class of productive workers, the working class, that has been up until today oppressed.
- Therefore, the future of the urban working class and workers and peasants in rural areas will be a key issue.
1.4 informal A person who works hard: I got a reputation for being a worker
1.5(In social insects such as bees, wasps, ants, and termites) a neuter or undeveloped female that is a member of what is usually the most numerous caste and does the basic work of the colony.
- Polybia occidentalis workers engaged in social biting with nest mates.
- In autumn, the larvae emerge as adult workers and begin enlarging the colony.
- When there is an influx of nectar into the nest, the colony deploys more workers for foraging.
2A person who produces or achieves a specified thing: a worker of miracles
More example sentences
- Dowie was already regarded as little short of a miracle worker for his achievements under particularly difficult circumstances at Oldham Athletic.
- Having said that, they may not be miracle workers, but acupuncturists have brought relief to many ailing patients.
- Lentils are miracle workers, packed full of goodness, grains are full of fibre and great energy boosters, and we all know what beans do for you.
Words that rhyme with workerburka, circa, Gurkha, jerker, lurker, mazurka, shirker, smirker
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.