Definition of world music in English:
1Traditional music from the developing world.
- I love pop music, I love world music, I love opera, so I want to do many things, and I don't hesitate to do them.
- Say what you will about sitar music or world music in general, but without a doubt, Ravi Shankar is a superstar in his own right.
- All of these ingredients - traditional songs, world music - in Italy encountered a series of blocks.
1.1Western popular music incorporating elements of traditional music from the developing world.
- He heads the world music department at Rotterdam Music Conservatory, the Netherlands.
- Combining the centuries-old traditional music he grew up with in Senegal with Western pop sounds, Maal is a world music superstar.
- Check out the world music section in a record store here, for instance, and you will find albums by pop groups from Taiwan.
Definition of world music in:
- British & World English dictionary