Definition of world music in English:
1Traditional music from the developing world.
- I love pop music, I love world music, I love opera, so I want to do many things, and I don't hesitate to do them.
- Say what you will about sitar music or world music in general, but without a doubt, Ravi Shankar is a superstar in his own right.
- All of these ingredients - traditional songs, world music - in Italy encountered a series of blocks.
1.1Western popular music incorporating elements of traditional music from the developing world.
- He heads the world music department at Rotterdam Music Conservatory, the Netherlands.
- Combining the centuries-old traditional music he grew up with in Senegal with Western pop sounds, Maal is a world music superstar.
- Check out the world music section in a record store here, for instance, and you will find albums by pop groups from Taiwan.
Definition of world music in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan