- 1A woody shrub with a bitter aromatic taste, used, especially formerly, as an ingredient of vermouth and absinthe and in medicine.
More example sentences
- Genus Artemisia, family Compositae: several species, in particular the Eurasian A. absinthium
- This is a powdered mixture of natural ingredients that contains garlic as well as alfalfa, wormwood, yellowdock and pennyroyal.
- Bitter herbs that would help would be gentian, artichoke, bitter orange, turmeric, wormwood and chamomile.
- Hemingway later blamed the damage on woodworm, a witty reference to absinthe's quasi - magical ingredient - wormwood.
- 2A state or source of bitterness or grief.More example sentences
- The survivors of the 1996 election were relegated to a kind of mute opposition, forced to sip wormwood from the cup of their own brewing.
- To be sure, the morbidity has become less lush; it's been distilled into essence of wormwood.
More definitions of wormwoodDefinition of wormwood in:
- The British & World English dictionary