Anxious or troubled about actual or potential problems: your mother and I were very worried about you there was a worried frown on his face he is worried that we are not sustaining high employment
More example sentences
- Robyn didn't show up, which had me a bit worried the whole time (I later learned she fell asleep).
- I'm starting to get a little worried about the enormity of the task ahead and the amount of change the next couple of months will bring.
- When he still wasn't home by 1:00 AM on a week-night when he was usually home by 9:00 PM, I got so worried I called a police precinct.
anxious, perturbed, troubled, bothered, concerned, upset, distressed, distraught, disquieted, uneasy, fretful, agitated, nervous, edgy, on edge, tense, overwrought, worked up, keyed up, jumpy, stressed, strung out;
informal uptight, a bundle of nerves, on tenterhooks, jittery, twitchy, in a stew, in a sweat, het up, rattled, antsy, squirrelly, trepidatious
the worried well
- People who are unnecessarily anxious about their physical or mental health: doctors increasingly have to deal with the worried well, rather than the genuinely sickMore example sentences
- Most GPs are willing to arrange for similar tests to reassure the "worried well".
- The vaccine may have been used on the worried well rather than risk groups.
- Popular accounts of angina have encouraged an epidemic of "atypical chest pain" and thousands of "worried well" consultations.
- More example sentences
- "I'm sure we left it here," the young man said worriedly, and he and his wife went down on their knees, digging through leaves and moss, searching for their lost fiddle.
- In this video, a girl lay sick on the couch and her mother worriedly took her temperature.
- Adam looked down, startled to see his little brother's face looking worriedly up at him.