1A fine smooth yarn spun from combed long-staple wool.
- Local historian and Keighley News columnist Ian Dewhirst says the mill was built - at a cost of £25,000 - in the 1870s by manufacturer James Collingham, for machine combing and spinning worsted yarns.
- The spokesman added: ‘The worsted spinning side of the business will continue after the summer shutdown to complete existing customers' orders.’
- Botany/Merino wool is a fine wool made from worsted wool yarn.
1.1Fabric made from worsted yarn, having a close-textured surface with no nap: [as modifier]: a worsted suit
More example sentences
- Addingham-based design company Adam Fisher Manufacturing Ltd, which designed suits for pop star Gareth Gates, has agreed to make a special suit from worsted cloth for the display.
- The cloth, a lightweight charcoal grey worsted made with Extrafine merino wool, has been produced by top weaver Clissold.
- They were more or less similar in dress with the dark grey worsted buttoned on the correct second button and a stiff collared white shirt, and shoed in the polished dark leather.
Middle English: from Worstead, the name of a parish in Norfolk, England.
Definition of worsted in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.