- Are the musicians at the airport a waste of money or worthwhile entertainment for our visitors?
- We thought this would be a fun way of raising some money for a worthwhile cause.
- All the effort was made worthwhile as Heaton again ran half the field for his second try.
The adjective worthwhile is used both attributively (that is, before the noun) and predicatively (that is, when it stands alone and comes after the verb). In both positions, it is always correct as one word ( a worthwhile book; we didn’t think it was worthwhile), but when used predicatively, it may also be written as two words: we didn’t think it was worth while.
- Example sentences
- A man's concern, even his despair, over the worthwhileness of life is an existential distress but by no means a mental disease.
- A sense of worthwhileness is cyclic.
Words that rhyme with worthwhileaisle, Argyle, awhile, beguile, bile, Carlisle, Carlyle, compile, De Stijl, ensile, file, guile, I'll, interfile, isle, Kabyle, kyle, lisle, Lyle, Mikhail, mile, Nile, pile, rank-and-file, resile, rile, Ryle, Sieg Heil, smile, spile, stile, style, tile, vile, Weil, while, wile
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.