- The sport or activity of grappling with an opponent and trying to throw or hold them down on the ground, typically according to a code of rules.
Popular in ancient Egypt, China, and Greece, wrestling was introduced to the Olympic Games in 704 bc; many of the holds and throws used now are the same as those of antiquity. The two main competition styles are Greco-Roman (in which holds below the waist are prohibited) and freestyle, which has become a popular televised sport. See also sumoMore example sentences
- These situations would include sport matches in wrestling and judo where people are fighting with resistance.
- Sam is into wrestling and baseball and playing Playstation video games.
- In high school, gymnastics and wrestling had an early hold on Stephan's athletic aspirations.
More definitions of wrestlingDefinition of wrestling in:
- The British & World English dictionary