- 1The activity or skill of marking coherent words on paper and composing text: parents want schools to concentrate on reading, writing, and arithmeticMore example sentences
- Proposal writing is a vital skill that many business owners haven't mastered.
- The skill of writing, however, did not become common in the West for hundreds of years.
- It's an academic course and there's lots of reading and writing.
- 1.1The activity or occupation of composing text for publication: she made a decent living from writingMore example sentences
- Lawrence's nomadic life supplied him with material for much of his writing and he wrote four travel books of a very personal kind.
- Speaking for myself, I would say it is possible to make a living out of writing.
- I have not worked at a job for nine years, doing only freelance writing.
- 2Written work, especially with regard to its style or quality: the writing is straightforward and accessibleMore example sentences
- Oh, his writing has a certain style and he can say a simple thing.
- There are vast differences of thought and style within classical writing.
- He makes this point in his Clarkson style in a brilliant piece of writing for the Sunday Times.
- 2.1 (writings) Books, stories, articles, or other written works: he was introduced to the writings of Gertrude SteinMore example sentences
- An annotated bibliography of his writings on Cornish folklore is also presented.
- The Jewish prayer book is drawn from the writings of the Jewish people across the ages.
- Chomsky's political writings are littered with violations of these conventions.
- 2.2 (the Writings) The Hagiographa.More example sentences
- The tripartite division of Jewish tradition into Law, Prophets, and Writings does not favor a midpoint, or at least has not led to a discussion of center, despite the importance of the Torah.
- When the time comes that these young students and mature scholars become rabbis in Israel and have to prepare Derashot, or sermons, they will surely need to search in Prophets and Writings for texts.
- But there is a secondary history (Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah) included in the Writings.
- 3A sequence of letters, words, or symbols marked on paper or some other surface: a leather product with gold writing on itMore example sentences
- In cuneiform writing, words are represented by signs incised into clay tablets by a wedge-shaped instrument.
- Mr Shackleton remembered his attacker was wearing a navy blue crew-neck sweater with a badge emblem and red writing on it.
- There is a sign by the door, embedded writing on a gold plate, but she is too far away to read it.
- 3.1Handwriting: his writing looked crabbedMore example sentences
- Her eyes skimmed the familiar writing and descended knowingly on that one sentence that seemed to haunt her desperately.
- The writing seemed oddly familiar, but Sakura couldn't remember who wrote like that.
- The writing seemed familiar but he couldn't quite put his thumb on whose exactly it was.
- In written form, especially as proof of an agreement or grievance: he asked them to put their complaints in writingMore example sentences
- If you make an agreement with someone, get it in writing, or you could regret it later.
- It is a good idea to provide the information in writing to the proprietor.
- I have been considering Michael Wood's legal view, which he kindly gave in writing.
the writing (or handwriting) is on the wall
- see handwriting.