- A small three-masted Mediterranean sailing ship with lateen and sometimes square sails.More example sentences
- After a week or so of smooth sailing, they were becoming accustomed to life aboard the hundred-and-thirty foot long xebec.
- The xebec, as in most ship types, possesses origins difficult to trace.
- Captain John Frankford, commanding the 18-gun privateer Belvedere out of Philadelphia, had several spirited engagements with French xebecs and privateers off the Spanish coast in the spring of 1799 during the Quasi-War with France.
mid 18th century: alteration (influenced by Spanish xabeque) of French chebec, via Italian from Arabic šabbāk.
More definitions of xebecDefinition of xebec in:
- The British & World English dictionary