Definition of xenology in English:
(Chiefly in science fiction) the scientific study of alien biology, cultures, etc.
- According to published hypotheses, this distribution might result from vertical inheritance of ancestral genes via speciation, from one or more horizontal transfers (xenology), or from a mixture of both.
- Molecular homologies can reflect the phylogeny of either species or genes and can reveal a complexity of pattern unknown in morphology, with orthology contributing to species phylogenies and paralogy and xenology contributing to gene phylogenies.
- 1 Postmodernism is highlighted by an emphatically interdisciplinary nature: we can be certain that we won't be seeing departments of xenology being set up at universities.
- 1xenologist noun
- Example sentences
- Primatology has heaped up examples of how similar to humans Apes are, to the extent that it seems unlikely now that a xenologist from Rigel 5 could differentiate a human from a chimpanzee.
- The original Zarkov seems to be a german scientist, a xenologist, from the 23rd. century.
- The first is human, a repressed xenologist named A. A. Zivancevic; the other is Shar, a member of the Laeske species.
1950s: from Greek xenos 'stranger, foreigner', (adjective) 'strange'.
Definition of xenology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.