Definition of xerophilous in English:
adjectiveBotany & Zoology
(Of a plant or animal) adapted to a very dry climate or habitat, or to conditions where moisture is scarce.
- The concentration of the highest estimates of genetic variation in northwestern Venezuela suggests a potential reservoir of plant genetic diversity within xerophilous ecosystems in northern South America.
- Mexico's xerophilous thickets and semi-desert pastures are located in arid and semi-arid areas that account for half of our national territory.
- While some xerophilous grasshoppers became scarce within the shelterbelt system, others, e.g. Calliptamus italicus, increased in importance.
- Example sentences
- Low altitude dry (xerophile) vegetation is found relatively close to the littoral zone where the habitat is characterised by strong droughts.
- Species of the Rosa gender, box trees in basophile and xerophile beech groves.
- The research thus far has been very exciting, and I feel that we are laying very practical groundwork for building infrastructure to support the use of xerophile and native plants in Jordan.
Definition of xerophilous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia