Definition of xerophyte in English:
A plant that needs very little water.
- High stomatal frequencies are usually characteristic of leaves of xerophytes.
- Indeed, this is the explanation offered by the classical and the majority of the modern textbooks on plant physiology or ecology especially when discussing adaptation of xerophytes to their habitat.
- Ferns generally lack some of the more typical adaptations of xerophytes, such as a thick hypodermis, sunken stomata, and CAM photosynthesis.
- Example sentences
- Haloxylon persicum is a stem-succulent xerophytic shrub, which only occurs in non-saline sandy deserts.
- A collection of cacti xerophytic plants - over 800 specimens - is exhibited in the nearby cactus house.
- Exodermis with Casparian bands was found in roots of hydrophytic, mesophytic and xerophytic species and in members of primitive as well as advanced families.
Definition of xerophyte in:
- British & World English dictionary