Definition of xylography in English:
The art of making woodcuts or wood engravings, especially by a relatively primitive technique.
- Albrecht Dürer became a leader in the art of xylography and was a part of the distinguished group who created the woodcuts of the Chronicle.
- These prints maintain the characteristics of traditional xylography and reflect the ongoing changes in architecture, clothes and transportation in the country.
- First seen in China around the 1st century, wood engraving or xylography is the oldest engraving technique known.
- Example sentences
- In fact, the maps are made with the xylographic method, but have the esthetic fineness of a copperplate engraving, needed to draw the tiny details found in a geographic map.
- Overleaf is the image of Saint Chistopher and at the end an image of Christ on the cross, both xylographic.
- No complete set of either of the xylographic editions seems to have survived the Cultural Revolution, although single volumes still exist in Tibet.
Definition of xylography in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.