- (Among Jews) the anniversary of someone’s death, especially a parent’s.More example sentences
- It even lets you add birthdays and yahrzeits of loved ones, with a reminder for every year.
- Written for the aliyat neshama of my father, Yisrael ben Yosef Yehuda, on the occasion of his 11th yahrzeit.
- And this, the first yahrzeit of that tragedy and the season of the High Holy Days, is an appropriate time to rebuild our selves.
mid 19th century: Yiddish, literally 'anniversary time'.
More definitions of yahrzeitDefinition of yahrzeit in:
- The British & World English dictionary