Definition of yardarm in English:
the sun is over the yardarm
- dated Used to refer to the time of day when it is permissible to begin drinking.Example sentences
- The argument can be made that there's no better time to take the full measure of a political player than over a plate of barely done eggs at 8 a.m. or after a belt or two when the sun has dipped below the yardarm.
- Hey, the sun's past the yardarm in Delhi; it's 5: 30 pm there already.
- By the time I had managed to drag him out of Brenda's begonia bed and into the car, the sun was way over the yardarm and I had no reason not to open a brace of beers the moment we swerved out into the oncoming traffic.
Words that rhyme with yardarmsidearm • gendarme
Definition of yardarm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan