(also yaupon holly)
- A holly of the southern US. Sometimes dried and brewed as a tea, its bitter leaves contain caffeine and have emetic properties.
More example sentences
- Ilex vomitoria, family Aquifoliaceae
- Small trees resistant to cotton root rot include Jerusalem thorn, yaupon and wild olive.
- Native plants, like wax myrtle varieties of yaupon hollies to name a few, are popular plants for southern gardens.
- But even ‘evergreen’ yaupons drop old leaves to make way for new.
early 18th century: from Catawba (a Siouan language spoken in South Carolina) yopún, diminutive of yop 'tree, shrub'.
More definitions of yauponDefinition of yaupon in:
- The British & World English dictionary