(also yaupon holly)
Definition of yaupon in English:
A holly of the southern US. Sometimes dried and brewed as a tea, its bitter leaves contain caffeine and have emetic properties.
- Ilex vomitoria, family Aquifoliaceae
- Small trees resistant to cotton root rot include Jerusalem thorn, yaupon and wild olive.
- Native plants, like wax myrtle varieties of yaupon hollies to name a few, are popular plants for southern gardens.
- But even ‘evergreen’ yaupons drop old leaves to make way for new.
early 18th century: from Catawba (a Siouan language spoken in South Carolina) yopún, diminutive of yop 'tree, shrub'.
Definition of yaupon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan