Definition of yaw in English:
(Of a moving ship or aircraft) twist or oscillate about a vertical axis: [with adverbial of direction]: the jet yawed sharply to the right
More example sentences
- The pleasant rocking of the boat was replaced by a Perfect Storm pitching and yawing.
- The Utopian ship yawed hard to port in an attempt to evade the incoming ordnance.
- Doremi was at the stern of a large ship that yawed back and forth as it sailed through a storm-tossed sea.
nounBack to top
A twisting or oscillation of a moving ship or aircraft around a vertical axis.
- This system is designed to compensate for wind and heel and control roll, yaw and surge.
- Aloft upon the mast, the figure stood, uncompromising to the gale and pitch and yaw of the ship.
- One could surely demonstrate yaw with engine failure since the props didn't feather.
Mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with yawabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yore, your
Definition of yaw in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan