noun[treated as singular]
- A contagious disease of tropical countries, caused by a bacterium that enters skin abrasions and gives rise to small crusted lesions that may develop into deep ulcers. Also called frambesia.
More example sentences
- The bacterium is the spirochete Treponema pallidum subsp. pertenue
- One of the most common was mercury, which had been used by the Arabs for centuries to treat leprosy and yaws.
- Salversan also proved effective against other maladies such as yaws.
- And that was the area of some of the first campaigns, the mass campaigns for penicillin, the yaws eradication.
late 17th century: probably from Carib yaya.
More definitions of yawsDefinition of yaws in:
- The British & World English dictionary