nounNorth American • informal
- A contemptible or cowardly person or thing.More example sentences
- Given the hysteria in March over the ‘outing’ of Sarah Champion the yellow dogs seem strangely muted.
adjectiveBack to top
- (Of a party-line voter, especially a Democrat) inclined to support any candidate affiliated with one’s chosen party, regardless of the candidate’s personal qualities or political qualifications: he is a self-proclaimed yellow dog DemocratMore example sentences
- That represents the core vote for the Tories, which they could expect if they were putting up a yellow dog.
- Leave it to CBS to find the one yellow dog Dem in the 1972 Texas Air National Guard.
- If the Democrats would put a yellow dog on the ballot, I would have voted for the dog before I would have voted for a Republican.
More definitions of yellow dogDefinition of yellow dog in:
- The British & World English dictionary