2 archaic term for yellow fever.
- Yellow fever (also called yellow jack, black vomit or sometimes American Plague) is an acute viral disease.
- Not even inland towns were safe from the fever known as yellow jack.
- Yellow fever, also known as yellow jack for the quarantine flag flown by ships at sea, became one of the most feared diseases throughout urban America.
3An edible marine fish with yellowish underparts, found primarily in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea.
- Caranx bartholomaei, family Carangidae.
- They are known as ‘big buses ‘because of the way they attract passengers, including juvenile yellow jack and golden kingfish.’
- This picture is typical of yellow jacks in shape and fin arrangement but the coloration is not the norm.
- Another edible game fish is the yellow jack, a strong fast-moving family, carnivorous and silver in color with a yellow tail which gives it a distinctive look.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: yel·low jack
Definition of yellow jack in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.