Definition of yellowtail in English:
noun (plural same or yellowtails)
A marine fish that has yellow coloration on the fins, especially a number of species prized as food fish.
- Several genera and species, including the large sport fish yellowtail (Seriola lalandi, family Carangidae) of southern California, the yellowtail flounder (Limanda ferruginea, family Pleuronectidae) of the Atlantic coast from Labrador to Virginia, and the yellowtail snapper (Ocyurus chrysurus, family Lutjanidae) of Bermuda and the West Indies
- For the yellowtail jack: Season fish with salt and pepper.
- A smaller and more spread-out shoal of yellow-tail snappers cruise in and out, the dense shoals of saupe and bream parting to let them through.
- I get back to the boat and find that the usual yellow-tail snappers have been displaced from the shadow under the boat by a local character called Elvis, a very large great barracuda.
Definition of yellowtail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia