Any of a number of trees that have yellowish timber or yield a yellow dye, in particular.
- ● A North American tree of the pea family (Cladrastis lutea, family Leguminosae). ● A podocarp.
More example sentences
- Cape parrots occur in the moist forests of the southern and eastern parts of South Africa and use yellow-wood trees as roosts, nesting space and as a food source.
- Yellow-wood is a rare, even endangered species of the eastern U.S., named in pioneer days from its heartwood's striking deep yellow color.
- The Yellowwood grows in the rich moist soils of hardwood forests, especially along stream banks, limestone cliffs, and valleys.
Definition of yellowwood in:
- The British & World English dictionary