exclamationUS • dated , chiefly • black English
- Used as a polite form of assent addressed to a woman: “You feel all right?” she asked. “Yessum.”More example sentences
- I won't talk about Bagger Vance… (yessum, weeza all trying ta’ fuget about Bagga Vance ‘roun these here parts!)
- That is the first time I have heard the phrase yessum mister since Little House on the Prairie all those years ago.
- Yessum, Miss Daisy, I'll drive you to the store, yessum.
early 20th century: alteration of yes ma'am.
More definitions of yessumDefinition of yessum in:
- The British & World English dictionary