Definition of yolk in English:
- These new noodles substitute soy flour for semolina flour and may contain egg whites or yolks to boost protein.
- Whole egg protein contains yolks and whites, providing a high ratio of indispensable amino acids.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and sugar mixture.
- In contrast to the fluid yolk of atherinomorphs, yolk is organized into globules in other taxa.
- An estimate of the daily amount of yolk deposited on developing ova and the sequence of laying are important when evaluating the total cost of egg production.
- In this study, we investigated differences in maternally deposited yolk testosterone and DHT in relation to diet quality.
Old English geol(o)ca, from geolu 'yellow'.
yellow from (Old English):
As with other colour words such as auburn and brown, the root of yellow probably referred to a wider range of colours than the modern word. It shares an ancestor with gold ( see golden), but is also related to gall (Old English), bile (mid 17th century), and the final element of melancholy, all of which derive from the greenish colour of bile. The yellow egg yolk (Old English), which could be spelt yelk into the 17th century, was also related to yellow. In the 17th century yellow rather than green was the colour of jealousy, possibly with the idea of a jealous person being ‘jaundiced’ or bitter. The word jaundice (Middle English) is from Old French jaune ‘yellow’, from the symptomatic yellowish complexion. Yellow is now associated with cowardice, a link that began in the 1850s in the USA. Since the 1920s a coward has been said to be yellow-bellied or a yellow-belly.
- [also in combination]Example sentences
- Females are ovoviviparous, retaining yolked embryos without nourishing them.
- This effect is most pronounced in the heavily yolked eggs of birds and zebrafish.
- But while Lincoln and Washington are yolked in the generic President's Day holiday, King has that third Monday of January to himself.
- Example sentences
- The mean diameter for yolkless egg ranges from below 40 mm to above 55 mm.
- A harness with a satellite transmitter was applied after she finished laying 88 eggs and 20 yolkless eggs.
- It was my turn to catch the eggs. 69 yolked and 67 yolkless, a somewhat unusual proportion.
- Example sentences
- Female hagfish produce between 20 and 30 yolky, shelled eggs at a time.
Definition of yolk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.