Definition of zebra in English:
1An African wild horse with black-and-white stripes and an erect mane.
- Genus Equus, family Equidae: three species, the common zebra (E. burchellii), Grevy’s zebra (E. grevyi), and the mountain zebra (E. zebra) . See also quagga
- The Cape Colony extended systematic protection to elephants, giraffes, hippopotami, buffalo, zebras, quaggas and antelopes in 1886.
- This family, made up of the horses, asses and zebras, contains one genus with nine species.
- The route of the safari will allow visitors to see for themselves a wide variety of African wildlife including lions, rhinos, giraffes, zebras, chimpanzees and many other species.
2A large butterfly with pale bold stripes on a dark background, in particular.
- ● A yellow and black American butterfly (Heliconius charitonius, subfamily Heliconiinae, family Nymphalidae).
- The refuge provides shelter and habitat for more than 300 butterfly species, including the zebra longwing, pipevine swallowtail, julia, and Mexican blue wing.
- The zebra longwing butterflies entertained me and a lot of other folks that summer and fall.
3 (also zebra fish) South African A silvery-gold sea bream with vertical black stripes.
- Diplodus cervinus, family Sparidae
- He brought to our attention the tiny zebra fish which could fully regenerate even severely damaged myocardium.
- It is a blending of DNA from a zebra fish and either a jellyfish or sea anemone.
- The company screens compounds for medical uses using zebra fish embryonic cells and fruitflies.
Words that rhyme with zebraephedra • Porto Alegre
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia