1An Indian plant related to turmeric, with an aromatic rhizome.
- Curcuma zedoaria, family Zingiberaceae
- A paste of a little zedoary and cream makes a good face mask and keeps the skin clear and shining.
- Turmeric helps you drink more, zedoary fixes up the hangover, and the turtle stuff adds vigor to your body.
- The medicinal part of zedoary is its rhizome, a fleshy stem that grows underground.
1.1A gingerlike substance made from the rhizome of the zedoary plant, used in medicine, perfumery, and dyeing.
- The rhizomes of zedoary are rich in starch, which is extracted from them in India as shoti starch.
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin zedoarium, from Persian zadwār.
Definition of zedoary in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.